There is a
lane along the coast of Maine,
And the scenery
there is beyond compare.
It is more
than just the long and winding road.
As you
travel along, it will lighten your load.
It’s a ribbon of glory around a land of stories,
With those
bards waiting in their yards,
Who will
regale a passerby with a salty tale.
If only you
will stop by and look them in the eye,
You will
find that you’re sold on those yarns of old.
They’ll ask
you to sit; you’ll hear things you won’t forget.
While the sights on the drive make one feel
alive,
The thrill
from what you hear when it falls on your ear,
Makes the
stop worth time spent around their hearth.
They have
stories of men lost when fishing from dories,
And tales of
ghost ships that will put you in fear’s grip.
The things
they like to share with their Downeast flare,
Will not only
serve to enhance, it will entrance,
And even take
the wind from your sail.
They’ll tell
of sea creatures and light house features,
With strange
events that like the fog came and went.
If you stay
longer, they may offer something stronger,
It will
lubricate their vocal chords as they fabricate,
Wilder accounts
of what could have happened,
When mermaids
enticed lonely sea captains.
Don’t travel
this way if you’re in a hurry,
And you’re planning
on activities in a flurry.
If you will
care to take your own sweet time,
You’ll be
entertained without spending a dime,
As you
travel this unique winding lane,

You have weaved a fascinating tale with the prompt. I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI just love the coast of Maine! Your poem made me want to go back again. Nice work!
ReplyDeletehttp://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2012/05/long-road.html
Very nicely done! Love the interweaving of the internal and end rhymes. Sounds like a road I would love traveling down. :)
ReplyDeleteBeen there...it is awesome...I really enjoyed the way you put it to words...it is one of the most beautiful places in this great land we call the good old U S of A.
ReplyDeleteOh, I visited Lubec, Maine once. Coming from 6 hours the other side of the border I found the scenery much like ours too. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLoved the atmosphere in this. Spooky, detailed. We also have a tale of a ghost ship that sails the length of the Northumberland Strait. Loved your tale :)
For some reason, I couldn't get to your blog from the link you left at mine, so followed from the comment you left at Kims (I think)
Enjoyed this!
I'm on my way!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a walk I need to take!
ReplyDeleteWestern Sky & Road & Fence