Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Tragedy


A seldom walked path through a winter wood,

I chose to travel for myself today.

Against the crust of snow stood beads of blood.

I followed the blood trail; why I couldn’t say.

 

With feet slipping over the frozen snow,

I left the path in search of the blood source.

Dread pervaded; there was no way to know,

What would be found at the end of this course.

 

Through a stand of naked birches I went.

The wind denuded them a month ago.

Working them over it would not relent,

‘Til the leaves composted the ground below.

 

The trail led to a clump of balsam firs,

A place that looked as though it kept secrets.

I thought my ear detected something astir,

Then I saw a sight I won’t soon forget.

 

A fragile deer was struggling to survive,

Shot through its side with a wicked arrow.

This fawn with spots just faded was alive.

I was overcome with rage and sorrow.

 

As I watched as frozen as the landscape,

The fawn lifted its little head and wheezed.

I stood helplessly with mouth agape,

At this tragedy amongst the fir trees.

 

Before long, the fawn drew a jagged breath.

Tears from my eyes mingled with its pooled blood.

I bent down and stroked its head at its death,

As the salt tears flowed in an angry flood.

 

Why did this atrocity take place?

Who would shoot such a harmless tiny fawn?

I prayed I’d never look into the face,

Of the culprit who’d committed this wrong.

 

Behind me I heard the sound of crying.

Turning, I saw a small boy standing there.

He’d never witnessed a creature dying,

For the bow he held, he no longer cared.

 

He sniffled, “I did not mean to do it.

I thought he was so much bigger than this.”

The child wept as I went by him to sit,

And soothed his sad tears with a tender kiss.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece..almost like a fairy tale or fable..I am glad the path was laid and 'you' found both little ones..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belva,this is heartbreakingly beautiful, so well crafted that we might have followed you there thru the snow. More than one lesson to be found in this story. Excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is a painfully beautiful piece of poetry. Even this reader was wounded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkably touching piece of sad beauty. Thank you Belva Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the tears, the tears! Powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wonderful poem full of beautiful sights.... found myself cold as i saw the naked trees and snow, searching too.... packaged so beautifully.. hunting is a way few truly understand... miss pie

    ReplyDelete