Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Good Book and a Cup of Tea


 an evening surrounded with darkness like a shroud,

provides the perfect setting for silence.

the room is lit by one lone reading lamp,

and a fire burns softly in the granite fireplace,

 with its orange flames lapping lazily at the logs,

 as it slowly works to consume them.

I settle into a favorite easy chair to relax,

and drink in the quiet as well as my tea,

which emits ephemeral tendrils of steam,

 as it steeps in the plain white mug.

the novel waits on a slab of wood with legs,

which is a table lovingly crafted by my husband.

it is whispering my name as it calls ‘read me’.

I resist, but fighting its siren call is futile,

because the black words on the stark white pages,

hold me firmly in their strong compelling grip,

and the tale so expertly woven by the author,

demands to be finished this very night.

the plot provides so much to ponder,

with a battle between the forces of good and evil,

being played out before my anxious eyes.

certain sections make me gasp as the tension builds.

Finally, the last chapter fills in the gaps,

and brings closure with good prevailing.

I gently close the book and lay in on the table.

all is right in their world; if only it was in this.

 
 

 

 

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Belva Rae, that is startlingly good. I too am gripped in that way by good books containing good stories. Your final six words are a 'sit up and think' blow to one's mental solar plexus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leigh. I always appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This captures perfectly the allure of disappearing into the world of words..they can be a great problem solver..inside the book and out..if only for the quiet and gentle sharing that reading allows..I love the little table too..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have included a photo of the table, Jae. It's actually a very thick slab cut from a huge old birch tree and the legs are made of logs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be few writers that do not appreciate this as words thought, written and read are our lives. The ephemeral tendrils of steam from the tea can be compared the magic of words as they entrance us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The juxtaposition between the reality contained within the pages, and the larger reality of our lives, such a complicated balance, but so intriguing, just as you have so eloquently stated here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You painted a perfect picture of the place to be on a cold day. For me, the only thing missing is a cat.

    My response to the SILENCE prompt is here: http://proartz.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-summer-of-1974-short-fiction.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. the "black words on the stark white pages" here kept me gripped to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the words chose so carefully; the feeling throughout; and the peacefulness, interrupted only by the book calling out to you. Really lovely poem, Belva. Peace, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/11/19/bitter-silence/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drinking in the quiet, I love it : )

    ReplyDelete